3685 Commonwealth Rd
Woodbury, MN 55125
A Software Engineer, specializing in Business Intelligence, who thinks that numbers make a difference. The right numbers, at the right time, looked at in the right way will change how decisions are made.
- Expertise with designing, implementing and maintaining BI systems from end-to-end. Broad expertise with Pentaho suite of BI tools.
- Experienced with Tableau Desktop and Online
- Experienced with a wide variety of ETL data sources including MySQL, MongoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, APIs, Excel and plain old text files.
- Understands the importance of proper data modeling to achieve effective and efficient star schemas
- Passionate about working with users to understand their needs and get them the information they need in the format they need. Prefers if they have access to self-service data so they don’t have to wait for reports to be created
- Enjoys training users to help them be more effective with their data
- Experienced with both waterfall and agile projects
- A self-starter, self-motivated team player able to work in a fast paced dynamic environment.
CaringBridge (2005 – present)
Senior Business Intelligence Engineer (2014 – present)
Business Intelligence Engineer (2010 – 2014)
- Responsible for entire Pentaho based BI system (end to end) including:
- System installation, maintenance and administration on Linux based Pentaho BI servers
- ETL from MongoDB, Microsoft SQL, MySQL, Excel, Saas API’s and other data sources using Pentaho PDI (Kettle) and PHP scripts. Routinely processed data sets with tens of millions of records.
- InfiniDB (a MySQL engine) column oriented data warehouse database
- Ad-hoc, dashboard, and traditional reporting created with Pentaho Analyzer Reports, Report Designer and Dashboard tools
- Tableau Desktop and Online used for visualization and reporting with dashboard and scorecards including creating ability to auto-publish extracts to online server
- Created automated data cleansing tool for donation processing data
- Worked closely with another engineer to create initial BI system. System re-written after primary data source migrated from MySQL to MongoDB in 2013
- Worked intimately with business users to define, create and deploy reports to meet their reporting needs
- Trained staff in use of BI tools to permit them to use self-service, drag-and-drop reporting tools, including creation of training videos.
Software Engineer – CaringBridge (2005 – 2010)
- Java and PHP object-oriented development for CaringBridge web application running on a Linux, Apache, MySQL stack.
- Wrote and maintained reports with Microsoft Reporting Services
- Generated segmented email lists per business marketing needs and prepared them for delivery using a third party vendor
- Broad range of technical “whatever needs to be done” to support the mission of the organization
Stay At Home Dad (2002 – 2005)
Contract Software Engineer – Encasa, Inc – President (1990 – 2002)
Contract software engineer creating Windows and web based object-oriented applications using primarily C++ and Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC). Contracts ranging from 6 months to several years for:
- Fisher-Rosemount – flow measurement
- Soffit Group – web site creation
- NCS Pearson – scanned document processing
- Access Management – legal document processing
- 3M – SCSI based tape backup systems
Electrical Engineer (1984 – 1990)
Variety of small electronics systems designed and manufactured for
- Datakey – portable memory devices shaped like traditional keys
- CIC Systems – prepaid electric metering systems
- Breamar – small system tape drives
Organizations and Affiliations
- TDWI – The Data Warehouse Institute
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering – University of Minnesota – emphasis on digital design and software – 1984
- Continuing education in Computer Science – University of Minnesota
- Dad/Husband – 4 fabulous kids and an amazing wife
- Internet Marketing – creating information products to help lower the barrier of entry to technology. Created BIDimensions.com to help others learn Pentaho tools.
- Electronics – Maker Movement – Amateur Radio (WB0VBG)